About the GEF
The Gymnastics Ethics Foundation was founded further to a decision of the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG), the world governing body for the sport of gymnastics. The FIG is an association comprising 148 national member federations.
The Gymnastics Ethics Foundation became operational on January 2019.
At its 2018 Congress in Baku, Azerbaijan, the FIG Congress voted to found the Gymnastics Ethics Foundation with the following purpose :
- to monitor good governance and ethical principles of the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG),
- to manage disciplinary proceedings in accordance with FIG Rules, and
- to safeguard athletes and other participants in gymnastics from harassment and abuse.
The Foundation is guided in the accomplishment of its purpose by the IOC Charter, the IOC Code of Ethics and its implementing provisions, as well as the Statutes, the Code of Ethics, the Code of Discipline and all other Rules and Regulations of the FIG.
Upon its foundation, the FIG endowed the Gymnastics Ethics Foundation with two million Swiss francs. The Gymnastics Ethics Foundation pursues its purpose through :
- any income generated by its assets,
- donations, gifts, subscriptions, legacies and estates accepted by the Foundation Council,
- any other contributions and income from the Foundation’s activities.